Mount Kenya Lakes
Mount Kenya, located in central Kenya, is home to several stunning lakes. Here are some notable lakes found in the vicinity of Mount Kenya:
- Lake Rutundu: Situated on the northern slopes of Mount Kenya, Lake Rutundu is a picturesque alpine lake. It is known for its scenic beauty, surrounded by moorlands and bamboo forests. The lake offers excellent trout fishing opportunities and is a popular destination for hikers and nature enthusiasts.
- Lake Alice: Also located on the northern slopes of Mount Kenya, Lake Alice is another beautiful alpine lake. It is relatively small in size but offers breathtaking views of the surrounding landscape. The lake is fed by melting glaciers and is a popular spot for camping and birdwatching.
- Lake Michaelson: Situated at an altitude of around 4,300 meters (14,100 feet), Lake Michaelson is a glacial tarn on the slopes of Mount Kenya. It is known for its crystal-clear turquoise waters and stunning reflections of the nearby peaks. The lake is a popular destination for trekkers on the Chogoria Route to Mount Kenya.
- Lake Ellis: Located on the eastern slopes of Mount Kenya, Lake Ellis is a glacial lake nestled within a picturesque valley. It is surrounded by beautiful alpine vegetation and offers stunning views of the mountain. The lake is a common stopover point for hikers and climbers on their way to higher elevations.
- Lake Hohnel: Situated on the western slopes of Mount Kenya, Lake Hohnel is a small but scenic glacial lake. It is named after the Austrian mountaineer, Ludwig von Höhnel, who explored the region in the late 19th century. The lake is accessible via the Sirimon Route and provides a tranquil setting for nature lovers.
Please note that the accessibility and conditions of these lakes may vary, and it’s always a good idea to check with local authorities or tour operators for the latest information and guidance before planning a visit.