At 4566m, Mount Meru is the fifth highest mountain on the African continent and the second highest in Tanzania. Mt. Meru trek is as an ideal warm-up for Mt. Kilimanjaro due to its altitude acclimatization and hiking distances. This trek is also geared towards hikers that prefer fewer crowds and a challenging ascent. You will climb with an armed ranger due to the wide range of wildlife living on the mountain. On the lower slopes of the mountain, you are more likely to see elephants, giraffes, and buffalo! As you continue their ascents, the trail follows the north rim of the volcano’s crater along a dramatic ridgeline. Throughout the climb, you will sleep in designated huts along the trail. Hikers reach the summit as the sun is rising and have spectacular views of both Mt. Kilimanjaro and the Meru Crater.
The Machame route, also known as the “Whiskey” route, is the most popular route on Kilimanjaro. Machame’s draw is in its scenic beauty. However, the trail is considered difficult, steep and challenging, particularly due to its shorter itinerary. Therefore this route is better suited for more adventurous folks or those with some high altitude, hiking or backpacking experience.
- 3-night accommodation in Arusha or Moshi town on arrival & after the hike.
- Arrival and departure airport transfers
- Huts & Camping accommodation
- Experienced and professional mountain guides
- All park fees and rescue fees
- All large-portioned, nutritious food and purified drinking water on the mountain
- Guides, porters and cook salaries
- Pulse Oximeter for daily health check
- Crisis management and safety procedures
- Fair and ethical treatment of porters.
- International Flights & Visa & Insurance
- Tips to porters and guides (ranges from 400$-500$)
- Meals while in Arusha or in Moshi town
- Items considered to be non-essential, such as alcohol, beverages, cigarettes, snacks, etc.
- Optional Tours (for example, short safaris after your climb or Moshi day tour, etc.)
- Oxygen tanks (included in luxury tours - can be rented in budget and standard tour)
- Portable toilets (included in standard & luxury tours - can be rented in budget tours)