Mount Kenya Technical Climb South East Ridge To Nelion & Batian
Climbing Difficulty and Grade- USA 5.6 or a British V.S or a South African 16
Best Time of Year- December-March
Longest Trekking day- 6-7hours
Climbing time for the ascent of Nelion- 4-6hours, extra time to Batian – 4hours
Descent time- 5-7 hrs
Altitude at the Start of the trek- 2700m, 8,860ft
Altitude at the Summit- 5,199m, 17,057ft Summit- Batian
The preferred route on Nelion is the MacKinders route. This is a 5th class rock route to a maximum difficulty of 5.6. There are easier sections where the party can move together, but typically, some 17 plus pitches are belayed. The descent is by the same route, with a few of the rappels taking more direct lines down the cleaner rock. This is a fun route, on generally good rock, sunny. Rock shoes are appropriate. Approach boots can be left at the base of the route. Though still long, this route is considered to be easier than the North Face Standard Route on Batian. With better rock and a sunnier position, it is also more fun.
The climbing season is usually November through March when the southeast face of the Nelion peak is relatively snow-free and climbing conditions are best.
To give you a clearer picture of the trip, kindly see below an itinerary for the entire climb.
- Guarantee price/guarantee trek on confirmation.
- Transfer to and from the base of the mountain
- Full board accommodation whilst on the trek.
- Meal plan as detailed: B=Breakfast, L=Lunch and D=Dinner
- Accommodations in camps/huts as per the itinerary
- All park entrance fees to include government taxes
- Services of a professional guide, porters and skilled cook
- Treated water on the trek.
- Start and finish Nairobi
- Training cost and purchase of mountain gear.
- Emergency evacuation cover USD. 24.00 from Amref
- Meals outside the mountain
- Other Items not mentioned above
- Accommodation before/after the trek
- Trekking gears
- Items of personal nature
- Airport transfers
- Visa and International flights